29 January, 2009

Second Ever Wall Post



So, I forgot that I even had a blog for about two months, but now it's back up and running. It's amazing the changes that two months can make- I have had people come into my life as well as leave it, I have been changed for what I thought was worse but proved to be better, I have had my only sister leave the country for 5 months, I have had a passport made, I have received grades as well as started new classes, I've lived and loved, I've been hurt, I've been happy, I've been lonely, I've been content, but most of all- I have
LIVED. And what a beautiful life I lead. I constantly am reminded of the intricacies and subtle beauty this world has been granted; I often frequent Barnes and Noble around 5:00, and whenever I turn to lock my car, I'm faced with a sunset that is, I suspect, somehow even more beautiful than the one from the evening before it. I wish I could paint my room with those colors, for I am firmly convinced that there are none more beautiful in nature (except green- my favorite!). Sister has been out of the country for 11 days now, and I am constantly reminded of that fact. It's quite inconvenient as well as saddening concerning the absence of voicenotes, texting, or phone calls filled with silly noises. It is, however, most entertaining to live vicariously through Day's pictures. I can't wait to be there myself! I will conclude this post with a sonnet that I composed for a class this week; my mother built a log fire (by herself!) to ward off the chill outside, and I found myself both intrigued and fascinated while contemplating the feral beauty of its flames. Enjoy.

Ad Flammam - "Near the Fire"


I gaze into the flick'ring waves of heat,
And, straying on the fringes, I remain
Close enough to smell burning pine so sweet.
Intemp'rate glowing embers wax and wane.
The flames dance as a comp'ny of ballet
Mixing quick, athletic bursts with pirouettes,
Adorned in orange gems and gowns of soft grey-
They sway and sink like rays from the sunset.
The heat emanates, reaching out to press
A warm, dry kiss on that face which is near;
The silky smoke floats free of care or stress
While bits of crumbling bark shed as burnt tears.
A sudden shift sends showers of sparks free
To escape the constraints of gravity.


1 comment:

Laura said...

well caitlyn-
i really like your poem and i think you may have some talent in that area of writing! I wanted to be the first to leave a comment-